1. Hast thou not known, hast thou not heard
That firm remains on high
The everlasting throne of him
Who formed the earth and sky?
2. Art thou afraid his power shall fail
When comes thine evil day?
And can an all-creating arm
Grow weary or decay?
3. Supreme in wisdom as in power
The Rock of Ages stands,
Though him thou canst not see, nor trace
The working of his hands.
4. He gives the conquest to the weak,
Supports the fainting heart,
And courage in the evil hour
His heavenly aids impart.
5. Mere human pow'r shall fast decay,
And youthful vigor cease,
But they who wait upon the Lord
In strength shall still increase.
6. They with unwearied feet shall tread
The path of life divine,
With growing ardor onward move,
With growing brightness shine.
7. On eagles' wings they mount, they soar,
Their wings are faith and love,
Till, past the cloudy regions here,
They rise to heaven above.